Thursday, June 21, 2007

my famiry

After school the other day on of my special needs students drew a picture (copied from photographs on my desk) of my family members, and asked for their names. As i had expected, my dad's name (Mark) was written ma-ku in katakana and Amy was written aimi to get the hard A sound. but i did not expect that my mom's name (Marti) would be written ma-chin (sounds more like marching than marti if you ask me) or that Andy would be katakanized anri-. Too funny.

I have one picture on my desk of the whole family about 4 years ago, and another senior photo of Andy from last summer. This student was convinced that i had two brothers, and she kept referring to the 'kakoi' or cute brother and the 'other' one. Andy at 15 with his short spikey hair was the hotty in her mind, which is fine with me since she's probably 13 and i always did support his short-hair-look. I don't think she ever really understood that i only had one brother though, even after i said family and the only word i could think of to mean whole (all) and pointed back and forth telling her they were both "Anrin". Oh well, i liked it.

No comments: